LISA 2000 Usenet/netnews BoF

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 14 23:36:58 UTC 2000

(Please note that this mesasge has been sent to several mailing lists
covering overlapping but separate topics.  Please *do not respond to this
message on those mailing lists*.  If you have any comments, please respond
on Usenet or in private e-mail to me, as while this announcement is
on-topic on those lists in my opinion, discussion most likely isn't.)

Like last year, I will be running a Usenet/netnews BoF (birds of a
feather) session at the 2000 LISA conference in New Orleans.  According to
the Usenix folks, this BoF is scheduled for:

Day:	Tuesday, December 5
Time:	7:00pm - 9:00pm
Room:	Mardi Gras A

On my loose agenda is a review of the current status of Usenet
standardization (both USEFOR and NNTPEXT) for those who may not have been
following the IETF working groups, a status report on INN in particular,
and general discussion of anything that those attending would like to talk
about.  If someone familiar with Diablo development plans on being at
LISA, I'd love to hear a status report on Diablo development as well;
likewise, if anyone from bCandid or Netwin or any of the other commercial
or free server development efforts plan on being there, I'd be very
interested in any technical discussion or status reports (not marketing,
please).

I personally would also be interested in discussion of what sites intend
to do about the growth of binary content on Usenet in the long-term, given
that the daily volume has more than doubled just since the last LISA, and
appears to be growing faster than network and disk capacity (which is
fairly impressive).

We ran two hours in a one hour timeslot last time, so this time I've gone
ahead and scheduled a full two-hour timeslot.

I see that for once the IETF and Usenix managed not to schedule LISA at
the same time as an IETF meeting, so hopefully more IETF people will be
able to come to LISA this year.

(For those who are unfamiliar with the conference, LISA is the Large
Installation Systems Administration conference run by Usenix.  For more
information, see <http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa2000/>.)