sendbatches

Olaf Titz olaf at bigred.inka.de
Fri Nov 17 20:10:23 UTC 2000

> Okay, could someone who's particularly interested in UUCP feeds or who
> otherwise uses batcher (or at least understands it) take the above code
> and figure out the best way to include it in INN?  It comes with a bunch
> of shell scripts for handling various batching, and I don't think we need
> most of them.  It also really needs some documentation.

It mostly needs de-subst-ing, which should make it able to run
standalone without any make process, the rest looks OK to me.
(Who needs docs? This is for C News diehards, who know how it works :-)
just kidding.)

Throw out the shell version. The helper scripts are necessary; most
users will need only compcun (and the still missing compgun, which has
to be added) and viauux but it doesn't hurt to keep the others.

The rest looks rather sane and easy; I'll try to take a look if I can
make it work with modern INN.

Some points to consider:
- shouldn't we adopt the C News Cleanup Release format of
  sendbatches.ctl, which has an explicit pipeline instead of separated
  muncher and sender?
- while we're at it, rename the file fom .ctl (to .conf?)
  It is not identical to the C News version anyway (no "batcher" field).
- rewrite the helper scripts as perl modules, like for controlchan?
  A somewhal less trivial project.
- Is there still no perl module for shlock?
  The last two items are about reducing the number of fork/exec/sh.

Olaf