Expiry working, but...

Mirek Luc mirecki at nask.pl
Thu Oct 12 09:47:59 UTC 2000

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Tom Kacvinsky wrote:

> I have expire.ctl set up thusly:
>     2:A:14:14:14
>     3:A:14:14:14
>     4:A:14:90:90
> Where classes 2 & 3 are for non-local newsgroups and class 4 is for local
> newsgroups.  I also tried:
>     2:14:14:14
>     3:14:14:14
>     4:14:90:90
> In inn.conf, I have groupbasedexpiry set to true, and I run news.daily from a
See expire.ctl(5):
     Most of the lines in this file will be in the second format,
     either four or five colon-separated fields as follows:
          classnum:keep:default:purge
     or
          pattern:modflag:keep:default:purge
          ^^^^^^^
     The former is  used  for  class  based  expiry  which  means
     ``groupbaseexpiry''  in  inn.conf(5)  is  ``false'', and the
     latter is used for group based expiry which  means  ``group-
     baseexpiry''  in inn.conf is ``true''.  Both formats can not
     coexist each other.

It means you should put in your expire.ctl something like this:
<non-local-newsgroups-PATTERN>:A:14:14:14
<local-newsgroups-PATTERN>:A:14:90:90

-Mirek