authentication problems/readers.conf

rtb at pumatech.com rtb at pumatech.com
Fri Oct 13 00:32:31 UTC 2000

Hello,
I'm having some troubles trying to set up a stand-alone (2.3.0) server that
accepts no connections without username/password.  I've set up readers.conf to
use `ckpasswd -s` to check against the system shadow file.  And yes its mode
4755 chown'd root.  However, no user is able to authenticate. Here is the
output from a telnet session to the nntp host:

[rtb at portland rtb]$ telnet machine nntp
Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Connected to machine.domain.com (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx).
Escape character is '^]'.
200 machine.domain.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.0 ready (posting ok).
authinfo user rtb
381 PASS required
authinfo pass XXXXXXXXXX
Connection closed by foreign host.

Below is my readers.conf file, my intention is to accept connects from anywhere
(people work from home), but make them authenticate via l/p.  Without l/p there
should be access at all...please tell me if I'm missing something here:

## begin auth rules ##
auth domain.com {
        key: "domain"
        hosts: *
        auth: "/u/news/bin/auth/passwd/ckpasswd -s"
        default: "no-user"
        }

## begin access rules ##
access admins {
        key: "domain"
        users: "admin01, admin02, admin03"
        newsgroups: *
        access: "Read Post"
        }

access users {
        key: "domain"
        users: "*"
        newsgroups: "local*, !control*, !junk"
        access: "Read Post"
        }

access deny {
        key: "pumatech"
        users: "no-user"
        newsgroups: !*
        }

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Ryan

--
Ryan Bellows                                                    rtb at pumatech.com
Systems Administrator                                             Pumatech, Inc.

"What's all this whining about the environment? They're always talking about
'stop the clearcuts.' I mean do the math people. If we were out of trees then
we wouldn't have any clearcuts to be complaining about now would we?"
-- George W. Bush