compile error with STABLE-20001012

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Oct 14 03:34:08 UTC 2000

Tom Kacvinsky <tjk at ams.org> writes:

> Hi Russ,

> What if perl is compiled with gcc and INN is compiled with Sun's
> Workshop Pro C compiler?

That's only going to work if you're incredibly lucky anyway; mixing
different compilers when trying to embed Perl is generally a bad idea.
That wouldn't work at all on AIX, for example, without a lot of fiddling
since the flags to tell gcc to link against one of AIX's weird libraries
are totally different than the flags to tell cc to do that.

In general, you always want to build INN with the same compiler that
you're using to build Perl if you're embedding Perl.

> Considering the possible compiler mixup scenario of above, wouldn't be
> easier to just extract the -I options rather than trying to strip all
> possible weird compiler flags?

I'm worried about some systems that might need special flags to handle
Perl's header files.  I guess I can see ways that either alternative could
lose in some circumstances.

Looks like we're going to have to strip stuff out of ccopts, as it all
gets stuck in ccflags along with things that we want.