expire and history format

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Oct 22 17:32:14 UTC 2000

Igor Timkin <ivt at gamma.ru> writes:

> I see in expire.c a lot of:
> 	where = Offset;
> 	(void)fprintf(out, "%s%c%s\n", fields[0], HIS_FIELDSEP, fields[1]);
> 	Offset += strlen(fields[0]) + 1 + strlen(fields[1]) + 1;
> and plan to replace with:
> 	where = ftell(out);
> 	(void)fprintf(out, "%s%c%s\n", fields[0], HIS_FIELDSEP, fields[1]);
> to reduce CPU's load. inn/his.c use this construction.

> And second and main. What's about to convert history to binary format ?
> History has fix format line. I has pathes (not full) against
> current-199904XX.  Binary format will reduce CPU/disk/VM usage and
> simplify C code.

That's definitely the future intention.  However, I want to put an API
interface on front of the history file before doing that so that we can
continue to read older history formats and to make the transition
smoother, as well as allow people to play with a variety of different
history formats.

I'd be glad to see someone work on that; I haven't had a lot of time to
get it started, unfortunately.  :/