Load problems with 2.3 server.

Simon Lyall simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Tue Oct 24 01:44:31 UTC 2000

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:
> In article <Pine.LNX.4.02.10010241142220.5382-100000 at firewater.ihug.co.nz>,
> 	Simon Lyall <simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz> wrote;
>
> } I'm now almost temped to switch my main news router to innd since a diablo
> } bug has been giving me problems for a couple of months. Thanks very much
>
> Could you show me the bug?  I'd like to know to see if
> it influences peers.

It should only be visable from the outside in that it causes the number of
outgoing (from the diablo box) connections to a peer to keep increasing.

Basicly if you have a outgoing feed with realtime and nobatch set then,
every 5 minute (or whatever) when dspoolout runs it will create a
dnewslink process and the old on should die. However if the old dnewslink
process has defered articles then it will rotate the batchfile (in
~/dqueue) and keep trying to send it (which is what nobatch should
prevent) . Even worse is the next time dspoolout runs a new dnewslink is
created and the live ones is rotated, but the bogus one has it's batch
file removed but doesn't detect this and sits around doing nothing for a
long time (forever).

I was getting about 10 dnewslinks pointing at some peers instead of one
which was very ugly and played hell on various limits.

Diablo 2.4 seems to have fixed the problem a bit but it still seems to
occur sometimes.

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Senior Network/System Admin |              | Home: simon at darkmere.gen.nz