Virtual Domains

Kevin McKinnon kevin at sunshinecable.com
Wed Sep 13 23:40:57 UTC 2000

> It's clear that this must be done with the readers.conf, but what's the best
> way?  Is the domain passed on to innd when a user tries to connect much like
> the name based virtual hosting of Apache?  For example, the domain is not
> passed onto an FTP daemon thus FTP virtual hosting cannot be done solely
> with names but must be done with IP addresses.  This isn't really explained
> in the man page of readers.conf so I was wondering what the experience was
> from users who have actually tried this.

Michael,

Can we clarify exactly what you are trying to accomplish here?
(Using my domains in example...)

It's very easy to do if you want all customers coming in from
sunshinecable.com addresses to get one set of groups, and another
group of customers coming in from dockmaster.net to get another set
of groups.

If, on the other hand, you want to operate it so that an individual
customer gets one set of groups if they connect to
'news.sunshinecable.com' and a different set of groups (same
customer, same IP address/hostname) if they connect to
'news.dockmaster.net' then things get more complicated.

Which is it that you're going for??

Best regards,
Kev

Kevin McKinnon, Sr. News Administrator              news at sunshinecable.com
Sunshine Communications Cable Internet       http://news.sunshinecable.com
[cronkite.sunshinecable.com  INN2.3  Incoming Curr:14.0Mbps,Peak:22.7Mbps]