Virtual Domains

Michael michaeln at isomedia.com
Thu Sep 14 03:00:09 UTC 2000

Kev,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the second is the ideal, but if it's not really possible, then the next
best method would do.  I see all sorts of options with regards to passwords
etc. so I see how the I could somewhat accomplish my task.  I'm just looking
for the best way.  To recap, here's exactly what I'm trying to do:

I have two domains (actually much more, but using yours...)

sunshinecable.com
dockmaster.net

I want users who use news.sunshinecable.com and news.dockmaster.com to see
an entirely different list of servers.  Ideally, these would be public
servers that you'd just connect to.  If that can't be done, what is the best
way to implement this?  Here is what I've seen:

 - Give each domain their own login (login: domain, password: news! etc.)
 - By login, specify what newsgroups they see

Is this the best that I can do?  The server has 7 IP addresses bound to it,
but I have much more than 7 domains which would like news services.  Here's
my background:  I offer a free webhosting/email service as a hobby.  All of
the organizations must be non-profit and must get no more than 30,000 hits
per day.  It's a pretty diverse group so I don't want any groups from
certain domains to get mixed in with the site that I run for the
Presbyterian Church.  ;-)

I hope this makes sense.  Let me know if I've left anything unclear.

Michael