INN on Sun

John Horn jhorn1 at desperate.ci.tucson.az.us
Fri Sep 15 22:09:16 UTC 2000

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> I have to run INN on sun hardware and I don't know well how big the
> machine should be (I don't have a lot of sun/solaris experience).
>
> I'm cosidering buying a E250 with one 450 MHz CPU and .5 GB of RAM,
> how many concurrent readers will it handle?

A lot. We're currently running on an E-450 with two 296MHZ CPUs and a
25GB (usable) array as the spool for some 20,000 groups. NNRP
available to over 3,000 clients daily.

> Are CPU and memory balanced or should I buy more of RAM or add another
> CPU?

Well, can you estimate the number of readers, the number of sites you
are going to feed and the number (and types) of groups you'll spool?

This information would be helpful in sizing the box.

> I plan to receive one or maybe two full feeds.
>
> I don't think I want to scale to a huge number of users, I'm considering
> installing some diablo reader boxes when the user base will grow.
> I read innxmit code and I see making it send header feeds is quite easy.
>
> --
> ciao,
> Marco

Regards:
John Horn                       |"Those who do not understand Unix
City of Tucson, IT Dept.        |are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
jhorn1 at desperate.ci.tucson.az.us|                         Henry Spencer