INN 2.3x and hardware

Mike Fagan mfagan at InfoAve.Net
Fri Sep 22 17:33:26 UTC 2000

At 09:20 AM 9/22/00, Bettina Fink wrote:

>Mathieu Arnold <mat at mat.cc> wrote:
>
> >> We are big fans of NFS storage solutions (NetApp, EMC=B2), but if
> >> this will not work: What are others using? Two people suggested
> >> Compaq storage solutions, anything else?
> >
> > I do not see the point of using reliable storage for the spool.
> > spool can always be recovered by asking one or more feeder to
> > refed it's whole spool.
>
>But that's always trouble for the users (seeing articles twice,
>losing thread beginnings, downtimes etc.). And our current trad
>spool on NetApp has also a very good performance. But what to
>use as hardware is a question of philosophy (and money) ... ;-)

I'm attempting to put together a disk array for our server to replace our=20
NetApp, which besides being slow for us, is maxed out drive-space wise.

We're looking at the Compaq drive arrays, mostly because we've got all=20
Alpha servers in house, and have a huge support contract with them.  But=20
the problem here is that the 10kRPM 36GB SCSI-3 disks for these things run=
=20
around 2k a pop.  We can end up getting the whole managed, raided shelf=20
with cache and the works for around 8k, add to that 40k for the 500GB of=20
space we want to add to it.  We could go with plain non-raided shelves and=
=20
it would still cost us an arm and a leg just for the drives.

Anyone know of a cheaper, reliable solution?  Getting money for the news=20
server is like pulling teeth around here... :(

Mike, Sr. Systems Analyst @ Info Avenue Internet Services