buffindexed question

Kevin McKinnon kevin at sunshinecable.com
Fri Sep 22 20:24:45 UTC 2000

> Right now I am running news.daily with expireover and it seems to be
> choking the server for about 2 hours every night. I see a
> correspondence in dropped articles during that time. Any tips on how
> to avoid this?

Hi Jon,

When was the last time you rebuilt your history file from scratch?

On my server, we were dropping from an average of ~15Mbps incoming
down below 5 during expiry (between 1-2 hours).  I shut the server
down, nuked the history files, rebuilt them from scratch, and have
had much better overnight performance since (last night we dropped to
12Mbps during news.daily)  I have a 150GB spool, and right now
history is running about 525MB.

Cheers,
Kev

Kevin McKinnon, Sr. News Administrator              news at sunshinecable.com
Sunshine Communications Cable Internet       http://news.sunshinecable.com
[cronkite.sunshinecable.com  INN2.3  Incoming Curr:14.0Mbps,Peak:22.7Mbps]