Is buffindexed overview corruption problem fixed in -STABLE?

Katsuhiro Kondou kondou at nec.co.jp
Thu Sep 28 02:05:30 UTC 2000

In article <20000927152023.A25877 at ksu.edu>,
	Tim Ramsey <tar at ksu.edu> wrote;

} Am I correct that this is a bug?  If so, is this bug fixed in the current
} -STABLE snapshot?  Is there a reason why I should NOT fetch the latest
} -STABLE and install that?

I've seen some people who run buffindexed have that problem,
though my server in production has never been happened to so
far.  This happens, if the server has crashed, but I also
have a suspection that this may be an OS specific issue.
Could someone who has this problem raise your hand and tell
me which Unix box is running?

} Also, what are the issues with rebuilding overview while innd/nnrpd is
} running?  Will articles that arrive while makehistory is running get added
} to the overview index?  What happens if a reader selects a newsgroup that
} hasn't been completely rebuilt yet?  Do they see only some of the
} articles, with others appearing to be missing or expired and so marked as
} read by their newsreader?

That would be.  And it should not be done, since overview
data could be duplicated and this leads to incorrect number
of articles in responding to 'GRUOP'.
--
Katsuhiro Kondou