Is buffindexed overview corruption problem fixed in -STABLE?

Tim Ramsey tar at ksu.edu
Thu Sep 28 15:58:37 UTC 2000

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 11:05:30AM +0900, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:
>Could someone who has this problem raise your hand and tell
>me which Unix box is running?

Doh, sorry.  This is a SS10 running Solaris 2.6 with all current
recommended patches applied.  inn-2.3.0 was configured with these

  env CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" ./configure --prefix=/news --with-news-user=usenet --with-news-group=usenet --enable-tagged-hash --enable-pgp-verify --with-sendmail=/usr/lib/sendmail --with-perl --enable-libtool

Compiled with "gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)".

>} Also, what are the issues with rebuilding overview while innd/nnrpd is
>} running?  Will articles that arrive while makehistory is running get added
>} to the overview index?  What happens if a reader selects a newsgroup that
>} hasn't been completely rebuilt yet?  Do they see only some of the
>} articles, with others appearing to be missing or expired and so marked as
>} read by their newsreader?

>That would be.  And it should not be done, since overview
>data could be duplicated and this leads to incorrect number
>of articles in responding to 'GRUOP'.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are saying.  Are you saying that
innd should not be running while makehistory is rebuilding the overview
database?

Thanks for your assistance.