INN problem

Heath Kehoe heath.kehoe at intermec.com
Sat Sep 30 21:45:17 UTC 2000

>> > the correct error string is: "Hostname does not resolve or 'domain' in
>> > inn.conf is missing"
>> So like it says your host's name isn't resolving or You didn't put right
>> things in inn.conf
>really? why didn't i reallize it too??
>
>I know what this message says, but how to solve the problem?
>i dont know how to configure my inn.conf
>my computer name is linux.dickmann.de (dickmann.de is the domain)

Ok, you get this error message because it tries to look up your
hostname 'linux' in DNS, which fails, because there is no DNS
entry for linux.dickmann.de.

What do you get when you type the 'hostname' command on your
linux box?  You should get whatever your hostname is, and not
'localhost'.  Some linuxes have their hostname set to 'localhost'
by defualt.  First, make sure this is not the case for you.

There are two ways to fix the INN error:

1) Add your machine 'linux' to the name server for dickmann.de
   so that you can type 'nslookup linux' and get something that
   looks like this:

    prompt$ nslookup linux
    Name Server:  xlink1.xlink.net
    Address:  193.141.40.1

    Trying DNS
    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    linux.dickmann.de
    Address:  1.2.3.4   <--whatever your IP addr is

2) Edit your inn.conf, and where it says 'domain:' set it to:

domain: dickmann.de

--heath