Solaris init.d scripts for INN

James Ralston qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 17 06:26:17 UTC 2001

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.4.30.0104061707500.24616-201000 at pcmy.sei.cmu.edu>,
> 	James Ralston <qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote;
>
> } Several people asked me about these, so here are the Solaris init
> } scripts I wrote for INN.
> }
> } The scripts go into /etc/init.d.  You have to make the symbolic links
> } to them:
>
> Why don't you use rc.news?

Mostly because I was already in the mindset of writing an OS-specific
init script, which I believe will be necessary for Red Hat.

Also, I've tried to write cross-platform init scripts in the past, and
it's been my experience that it's difficult to do a good job on all of
the different operating systems.  Even simple things like trying to
figure out the hostname ("hostname", "uname -n", etc.) can bite you.
To be honest, I don't think I ever seriously considered using rc.news;
I just glanced through it to figure out what my Solaris init.d script
would need to do.

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute