Solaris init.d scripts for INN

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 17 21:45:14 UTC 2001

James Ralston <qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Mostly because I was already in the mindset of writing an OS-specific
> init script, which I believe will be necessary for Red Hat.

> Also, I've tried to write cross-platform init scripts in the past, and
> it's been my experience that it's difficult to do a good job on all of
> the different operating systems.  Even simple things like trying to
> figure out the hostname ("hostname", "uname -n", etc.) can bite you.
> To be honest, I don't think I ever seriously considered using rc.news;
> I just glanced through it to figure out what my Solaris init.d script
> would need to do.

rc.news is not an init script.  rc.news is a cross-platform shell script
that starts and stops the news system that happens to take arguments that
look vaguely like those of an init script, but it's not suitable for being
used as an init script (it must run as the news user, for example).  (It's
somewhat confusingly named.)

I think that Katsuhiro's point was that any init script to start or stop
INN should be a simple wrapper around rc.news that changes to the
appropriate user and then runs rc.news; you shouldn't try to duplicate all
of the functionality of rc.news.