Artsize still not quite right in CURRENT

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 19 06:29:58 UTC 2001

James Ralston <qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Really, I don't see any reason why INN shouldn't be compiled with the
> _GNU_SOURCE feature test macro on any system where the GNU C Library is
> detected.  This is what glibc recommends.

I'd really rather not go down that route.  Feature test macros are
inherently broken as a concept in my opinion; the problem is that when you
use them, they have a tendency to hide *other* stuff that you end up
wanting to use, or changing behavior in odd and undocumented ways.

pread and pwrite should be visible in the header files without requiring
any of these macros be used.

I seem to recall that this crossed the autoconf lists in the past and the
conclusion was that it was a bug in glibc that the correct symbols weren't
visible without needing feature-test macros, but I may not be remembering
right.