items in LIBDIR (related to FHS patch)

James Ralston qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Apr 19 22:19:05 UTC 2001

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Actually I have no patch which does this, I thought the
> docheckgroups path had been fixed when the new controlchan was
> merged.  Is this not correct?

The most recent STABLE build still puts docheckgroups in LIBDIR.  I
wasn't following the new controlchan stuff; I'm not sure if it's been
merged or not.

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Can you post again the complete update list of paths, so we can
> double check them?

Right now, I have:

    /etc/news/
    /etc/news/filters/
    /usr/bin/
    /usr/lib/libinn.a
    /usr/lib/libstorage.a
    /usr/lib/news/innreport_inn.pm
    /usr/lib/news/innshellvars
    /usr/lib/news/innshellvars.pl
    /usr/lib/news/innshellvars.tcl
    /usr/lib/news/auth/
    /usr/lib/news/control/
    /usr/lib/news/rnews/
    /usr/share/doc/news/
    /usr/share/man/man/
    /var/lib/news/db/
    /var/lib/news/tmp/
    /var/log/news/
    /var/log/news/OLD/
    /var/run/news/
    /var/spool/news/

On 19 Apr 2001, bill davidsen wrote:
> [libstorage] probably should become innstorage, it's much too likely
> a choice for other applications.  If it can bite you it will bite
> you, and all that.

I think that's a good idea, but if the library name is changed, it
should be changed regardless of whether --enable-fhs-dirs is supplied.

On 19 Apr 2001, bill davidsen wrote:
> I will repeat my comment that /usr/lib/inn would be a choice less
> likely to comflict with system having other news software (like
> feeds from CNN, etc) and that distributions wanting to use
> /usr/lib/news for INN can install a single symbolic link to make
> news point to INN.

Well, the FHS doesn't speak to this issue, so it boils down to
whatever is easiest on current Linux distributors.

Red Hat doesn't even *have* a /usr/lib/news or /usr/lib/inn directory,
so they won't be affected by whatever decision we make.  I suspect
most other distributors who use rpm will follow Red Hat's lead.

Marco, would renaming /usr/lib/news to /usr/lib/inn break anything on
Debian?  If the answer is yes, would you be willing to package INN for
Debian with a symlink from /usr/lib/news to /usr/lib/inn?

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute