items in LIBDIR (related to FHS patch)

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Fri Apr 20 00:56:00 UTC 2001

On Apr 20, James Ralston <qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

 >    /usr/bin/
I still think most files should go in /usr/lib/news/bin.
Nearly all executables are programs only run by INN script which should
not pollute the $PATH.

 >    /var/lib/news/db/
active, history etc have been put in /var/lib/news since che beginning.

 >    /var/lib/news/tmp/
This is badly broken. Files are renamed from tmp to incoming, so it's
usually a subdirectory of incoming.

 >    /var/run/news/
At least on debian systems it's called /var/run/inn or /var/run/innd,
but I have no opinion about it (it's not really important because no
external program touches it).
The same argument applies to the documentation directory.

 >I think that's a good idea, but if the library name is changed, it
 >should be changed regardless of whether --enable-fhs-dirs is supplied.
Sure.

 >Marco, would renaming /usr/lib/news to /usr/lib/inn break anything on
 >Debian?  If the answer is yes, would you be willing to package INN for
I'm not sure, and I feel this would be a gratuitous change.
It's the same path used by slackware BTW.

 >Debian with a symlink from /usr/lib/news to /usr/lib/inn?
Only if it become a commonly used location among unix systems.

--
ciao,
Marco