innd/BerkeleyDB bug (?)

Basil Kruglov basil at cifnet.com
Fri Apr 20 14:11:27 UTC 2001

running INN 2.3.2 (20010316 prerelease) with BerkeleyDB

every ~5 days or so I get this error message and innd stops working...

Apr 20 08:30:21 vallen nnrpd[76927]: OVDB: OVDBenv->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
Apr 20 08:30:26 vallen innd: SERVER throttle Interrupted system call writing creating overview file -- throttling
Apr 20 08:35:22 vallen ovdb_recover[77137]: OVDB: OVDBenv->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

and in my overview/ directly one of the log.* files for BerkeleyDB appears
to be having permission root.root instead of news.news, as it should be,
which is most likely have caused this havoc.

After fixing permissions, rc.news stop/start, innd is up & running again.

I know something is buggy, any ideas on what it might be ? Thanks,

-Basil