[DRAFT] INN 2.3.2 announcement

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at epix.net
Mon Apr 23 12:03:41 UTC 2001

>   * A very long-standing (since INN 1.0!) NNTP protocol bug in nnrpd was
>     fixed.  The response to an ARTICLE command retrieving a message by
>     message ID should have the message ID as the third word of the
>     response, not the fourth.  Fixing this is reported to *possibly* cause
>     problems with some Netscape versions, but other news servers correctly
>     follow the protocol.

I think this could be more clear, saying "Netscape browsers" instead
of "Netscape browsers"

Is there any indication that other browsers might be affected?

I remember this bug was discussed on the INN workers list a long
time ago, and it was decided not to fix it.  In fact, I seem
to recall the discussion was that the RFC was wrong because
INN was doing what C news did, and the RFC was supposed to
be documentation matching C news.  But I didn't dig up the
discussion, and the RFC was written before I got interested.

Forrest