[DRAFT] INN 2.3.2 announcement

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 23 12:31:07 UTC 2001

Forrest J Cavalier <mibsoft at epix.net> writes:

>>   * A very long-standing (since INN 1.0!) NNTP protocol bug in nnrpd was
>>     fixed.  The response to an ARTICLE command retrieving a message by
>>     message ID should have the message ID as the third word of the
>>     response, not the fourth.  Fixing this is reported to *possibly* cause
>>     problems with some Netscape versions, but other news servers correctly
>>     follow the protocol.

> I think this could be more clear, saying "Netscape browsers" instead
> of "Netscape browsers"

Okay.

> Is there any indication that other browsers might be affected?

None that I've seen; several of us have been running this in production
for quite a while and haven't seen any problems.

> I remember this bug was discussed on the INN workers list a long time
> ago, and it was decided not to fix it.  In fact, I seem to recall the
> discussion was that the RFC was wrong because INN was doing what C news
> did, and the RFC was supposed to be documentation matching C news.  But
> I didn't dig up the discussion, and the RFC was written before I got
> interested.

Well, what INN used to be doing was the opposite ordering of the return
from the HEAD command and other related commands, when I checked, so it
looked "obviously" wrong.  And it's definitely incorrect per the RFC, and
Diablo, Cyclone, etc. appear to all follow the RFC.