64 bit coding

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Wed Apr 25 08:19:19 UTC 2001

Dan Foster <dsf at gblx.net> writes:

> > I actually doubt that INN *is* making many assumptions like that, as INN
> > has worked fine on Tru64 for quite some time.  I think you've got an
> > overactive compiler that's jumping at shadows, from the examples you've
> > given so far.  But I'd be happy to see more specific details....
>
> We'll soon find out how well it works in practice. :) I'm still not fully
> convinced that I'm smarter than the compiler team by ignoring the warnings.
> After all, there's been a general push over time to make INN build cleanly
> without warnings.

In my experience, every compiler issues some stupid warnings
(including the ones I've worked on). Certainly I've seen instances
where compiler #1 is happy with a construct, but compiler #2 will
issue a warning. Changing it so compiler #2 is happy will cause
compiler #1 to warn.

In the past I've seen code which has been effectively obfuscated in a
misguided attempt to shut up compilers.