Upgrade Questions--2.2.3 to 2.3.1

Hawk mr_free at priv.onet.pl
Fri Apr 27 21:06:55 UTC 2001

> I've had nothing but troubles with 2.2.3 and would like to upgrade to 2.3.1.
> I'm using the base install that comes with redhat that's actually installed
> in /usr/bin, /etc/news, etc.

> Anything I need to consider before installing?  Any changes in config files?
> Should I ditch the /usr/bin and go with a /usr/local/news install?

I've just done exactly the same update. I make a clean install of
2.3.1 without using old config files. Do not use them because many
things have changed. It will took a while to create new ones, but you
will not have any problems later. I just imported old /var/spool/news/articles
and /var/lib/news (history), and everything is working ok.
Ah. And I installed whole thing in /news.

Martin