INN under Linux..

Miquel van Smoorenburg list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl
Sat Apr 28 12:45:47 UTC 2001

In article <20010427162935.C23935 at opentransit.net>,
Fabien Tassin  <fta at sofaraway.org> wrote:
>Anyone running INN 2.4-CURRENT under Linux with largefile (for CNFS)
>and himem (>> 1GB) with or without SMP ?

I've considered it, but was afraid it wouldn't be stable enough.
Seems I was right ;)

>I'm running a similar box for months now, with kernel 2.4.[0-3], glibc 2.1.3
>and Perl 5.005.03. I'm experiencing a lot of kernel crashes/freezes/BUG()
>since I'm using himem. Removing SMP helps a little bit but it
>still crashes randomly.

If you're the kernel hacker type I think that the folks at linux-kernel
would be interested in the logs - if you get Oops or Panic output,
capture it using the serial console and decode it with ksymoops.

>I'm tempted to fall back to kernel 2.2.19 but I'm not sure it will fit
>my needs (largefile/himem/SMP).

2.2.19 doesn't have high memory support or largefile support. It does
have SMP support and is really, really stable.

Andrea Archangeli has patches for highmem and LFS on 2.2, but I'm
not sure he updated it to 2.2.19 already. I think that stopped at
2.2.18pre19. You might want to look at the SuSe or RedHat kernels
since supposedly they ship with 2.2 "enterprise" kernels that have
those features.

Mike.

Reply to the list or to miquels at cistron-office.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)