a bulletproof INN

Juan Vera juan at core-sdi.com
Wed Aug 1 15:18:49 UTC 2001

We run a low size server (<= 100 users, <= 60 concurrent) with all
local groups and some external inyected with little posting tools.

The machine is running OpenBSD 2.9 (INN compiled fine, altought
compiler cried about 'mktemp using unsafelly' or something like
that. I'll submit a patch for use mkstemp when I finnish it
ie changes to not only source files but Makefile configure, etc).

We are having some power problems and when the power goes
out the server gets, say,  totally confused. I had see the infamous
400 SMstore code. I'd lost articles (outlook [4-6] reports 'message is no
longer available on the server'), some of they don't really dissapear as I still
can find article files on the server. And number of unread articles changes
with no particular patron making users ring me a lot. I guess you know how
unpleasant can that be.

We use a tradspool (plain text articles are easy to re-inyect :)

I included this (with no total luck) on rc.local on the hope of aut-o-matic
sanity check when the machine goes on again:

####
# restore news
#
echo -n "performing innd sanity checks: "

# backup overview
su - news -c "/bin/mv /var/spool/news/overview /var/spool/news/overview.`date +%Y-%m-%d-%H`"

echo -n "backup ov, "
# mkdir or makehistory will cry
su - news -c "/bin/mkdir /var/spool/news/overview"

# create a new overview
su - news -c "/usr/local/news/bin/makehistory -O -x -F"

echo -n "new ov, "
# start inn
su - news -c "/usr/local/news/bin/rc.news >> /var/log/news/innd.startup.log 2>&1"

echo -n "server started, "
# renumber articles (numbers totally freak out)
su - news -c "/usr/local/news/bin/ctlinnd renumber ''"

echo -n "groups renumber, "
# run crontab job (it seems to fix article number freakness)
su - news -c "/usr/local/news/bin/news.daily noexpire lowmark"

echo -n "crontab, "

echo done.
-- eof --

Those are all the tricks I know to use with INN. I got them from mailing
lists archives.

This is my crontab line:

0 3 * * * /usr/local/news/bin/news.daily noexpire lowmark norotate

(As almost all our groups are local we don't need/want to expire them)

2.3.2 Changelogs doesn't reference any change on these points.
I'm still considering the upgrade. Will this help by any chances?

Now my question, what is the way to create a bulletproof INN?

Note that having a good power suply is a fight we are facing now, still
I would love to do not depend on that to have our INN server stable.

Thanks a lot

Juan