User/Pass access in INN

Vinod Kataria vkataria at ggn.aithent.com
Fri Aug 3 10:58:08 UTC 2001

Hello All,

I have installed a INN-2.3.2 on Solaris 8(x86) for Internal use. I have also
created newsgroups on it. These newsgroups needs to be password protected by
User/Pass combination. I am able to access the newsgroups without user/pass.
I have following as my nnrp.access and readers.conf contents:

NNRP.ACESS

*:Read Post:user1:pass1:a.abc.com  (Only user1 has access a.abc.com)
*:Read Post:user2:pass2:b.abc.com (Only user2 has access b.abc.com)

READERS.CONF

auth "internal" {
        hosts: "*"
        auth: "ckpasswd"
        default: "<no-user>"
}
access "internal" {
        users: "user1"
        newsgroups: "a.abc.com"
        access: "Read Post"
}
access "internal" {
        users: "user2"
        newsgroups: "b.abc.com"
        access: "Read Post"
}

I am really not able comprehend the relation between nnrp.access and
readers.conf files. Also, there was no nnrp.access file in news~/etc
directory and I had created the same with above contents.

Any comments, pointers will be helpful.

TIA,
Vinod