Problems with overview or expire configuration

Nicolas STRANSKY Nicolas.Stransky at crans.org
Mon Dec 3 12:46:04 UTC 2001

As the new articles were appearing normaly after the crash, i didn't try
your solution immediately. But I have copied all my inn configuration &
spool to another server and I tried your solution to see if old articles
were appearing again.

When running makehistory -a -O -b -e, I had a couple of these messages in
news.err :
Dec  3 12:44:35 zamok makehistory[25043]: tradindexed: repacking group
crans.general, offset 3519
Dec  3 12:44:35 zamok makehistory[25043]: tradindexed: packgroup cant write
to /var/spool/news/overview/c/g/crans.general-NEW.IDX: No such file or
directory

and I had these messages on stdout :
makehistory: Can't write overview data
"@050100000009000043030000000000000000@"
But when I run makehistory -a -O -b -e again, all these disappeared and the
operation completed successfully.

Then, when runnning
"/usr/lib/news/bin/news.daily delayrm noexpireover nomail lowmark" as news
user, all the messages appear as they should in the newsreader.
But then, i ran as you said
"/usr/lib/news/bin/news.daily delayrm nomail lowmark" and there
are no more messages accessible with my newsreader and the overview files
are empty (0 byte).
So the overall result is that my newsgroups are empty, but the articles are
still in the spool...

Have you got any more ideas of what's wrong ?

Thanks again for your help

--
Nicolas STRANSKY