newsgroup names changes

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Dec 13 19:37:54 UTC 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, tom wrote:

> > Here's the clincher.  Is it the case that for all messages, both old and
> > new, the article number in Xref (the "8" at the end of the line above)
> > matches the name of the file?
>
> here is the xref sfrom one group I've been playing with.

So yes, then.  Easy:

perl -i -pe 's/defr_wb4321den687491/molds.denso.4062p/g' *

will change the name in the entire text of all of the articles in the
current directory.  If you want to be sure to only change it in the
Newsgroups: and Xref: headers that's not hard, but I won't bother unless
you need it.  If you run

perl -ibak -pe 's/defr_wb4321den687491/molds.denso.4062p/g' *

instead it will save the original articles as *.bak so you can be sure
you're happy with the results (and then delete the .bak files).

Then rebuild overview.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org