WAS Re: innfeed not propagating articles

Steven L. Sesar ssesar at mitre.org
Mon Dec 17 20:09:29 UTC 2001

> > > Oh, do you have nnrpdposthost set in inn.conf on the reader?
> >
> > I do now.
>
> You don't have to!  I wasn't suggesting it, just asking whether it was.
>
> If it's set, you won't see not-for-mail on the reader machine, since the
> articles go straight through on account of nnrpdposthost.

I wasn't seeing it before I set it. I have unset it now.

> > Actually, the path header is correct. It wasn't, because I thought
> > that by changing it to "blanket" might change things, but it didn't
> > and I forgot to change it back to newstransit.
>
> If the only thing feeding the reader box is newstransit, the only articles
> innfeed should be sending from reader to newstransit are new posts (and if
> nnrpdposthost is set, not even those).  So if you're still seeing articles
> being fed back to newstransit, we need to pursue that.

No, I'm not. But, I don't see them being fed to the transit server either. The
reader appears to be sending them to the crosspost program and "newslocal", which
again, is the replacement reader machine and is unknown to anyone but "top" (the
current reader box).

> > > Except those are not from your reader machine.  Weren't we seeing the
> > > transit rejecting articles from the reader?
> >
> > No. Actually, I don't see any evidence that any articles even make it from the
> > reader to the transit server
>
> If you have nnrpdposthost set, you need the reader server to appear in
> newstransit's incoming.conf.  If not, you should be seeing not-for-mail
> lines in reader's "news" for each post.

I think that this is what we need to pursue, since "not-for-mail" doesn't appear
anywhere