nnrpd's Argify() and passwords with spaces

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Dec 20 07:03:12 UTC 2001

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:

> But here I'd like to make it clear 'AUTHINFO'
> and 'AUTHINFO SIMPLE' in 2980.  It does not mention user/
> password which includes spaces.

Ah.  There's no way to do anything like backslash-escaping or quoting
(both of which seem to still violate the spec's implication that password
is a single parameter) without breaking backwards compatibility (except
for the horribly ugly approach of try the auth attempt twice, once
assuming old newsreader behavior and once new).

It would definitely be good to have something in writing that spaces are
an issue; perhaps we can encourage newsreaders to warn users that they may
have trouble because of this.  And once we revise INN's behavior to take
the whole string to the end of the line, we need to get that documented.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org