Linux + large-files

bill davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Feb 1 05:57:36 UTC 2001

In article <ylbsvfifn2.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> you write:

| Fabien Tassin <fta at sofaraway.org> writes:
|
| > Anyone running INN with large-files enabled under Linux ?
| > The current "configure" rejects it but it looks doable..
| > Kernel > 2.3.3x with glibc > 2.1.x should do the job.
| > At least, MySQL supports it with :
|
| > -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 (both _LARGEFILE_SOURCE and _LARGE_FILES undefined)
|
| > Anyone ?
|
| I don't believe that ext2 supports large files, though.  Maybe I'm wrong.

  Unfortunately so, the f/s has had 64 bits since day one, but the VM
has not allowed more than 32 bits until 2.4 (or actually 2.3+).

| Anyway, yeah, Linux has the necessary pieces with more recent versions of
| glibc.  I'm mostly waiting for the new autoconf to be released so that I
| can just use its large file test rather than fiddling with the one in INN
| more, but it should work if you tell it to do the same thing for Linux
| that it does for HP-UX.

  Once upon a time there was code to call some system program and get
back the options needed to do large files. Can't we go back to that and
test if large files are supported?
--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc