Timer library

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Tue Feb 6 08:36:53 UTC 2001

Fabien Tassin <fta at sofaraway.org> writes:

> According to Alex Kiernan:
>
> > Open question - Does that kind of code belong in the main server?
> > Whilst I found stathist useful, mostly it showed that I just needed to
> > figure out how to use Sun's profiling tools.
>
> several points here.. not everybody is running Solaris. purify is commercial
> and run on a limited set of OSes. a built-in profiler has a lot of advantages
> like the ability to be always active with a reduced cost, to be started/stopped
> without having to stop the service and without having to recompile everything
> again and again.

OK, but there's profilers for every platform (but the Sun one does
have the advantage of not needing a rebuild) - I wasn't so much
thinking that the code shouldn't be there, but more that it should be
a build option. I guess so long as the added cost when disabled is
negligible its not an issue.

> I don't say that a real profiler is not useful but our small timer has
> proven its interest.. well, I think so.

I don't disagree.