Linux + large-files

bill davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Feb 12 17:20:51 UTC 2001

In article <ylr91i2v3y.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu>,
  Russ Allbery (rra at stanford.edu) wrote:

| bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:
| > In article <ylbsvfifn2.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> you write:
|
| > | Anyway, yeah, Linux has the necessary pieces with more recent versions of
| > | glibc.  I'm mostly waiting for the new autoconf to be released so that I
| > | can just use its large file test rather than fiddling with the one in INN
| > | more, but it should work if you tell it to do the same thing for Linux
| > | that it does for HP-UX.
|
| >   Once upon a time there was code to call some system program and get
| > back the options needed to do large files. Can't we go back to that and
| > test if large files are supported?
|
| Turned out that said program only supported that option on Solaris.  It's
| still being used on Solaris, but the other platforms don't do things that
| way.

  I seem to recall it worked fine in AIX, because the first time I used
large files and saw how it got the options was one of those "oh, look at
that" moments. In any case it is dead easy to find in Linux unless you
are cross building from a non-largefile kernel.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc