Assorted history questions

Katsuhiro Kondou kondou at nec.co.jp
Thu Feb 22 03:15:35 UTC 2001

In article <72snl8qqpq.fsf at nd1.eng.demon.net>,
	Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net> wrote;

} grephistory can't support -h or -t (offset & hash aren't exposed by
} the API), also you can't search by hash any more; these don't look
} like very serious restrictions.

I agree.

} haven't implemented yet), but does anyone actually use prunehistory

I think we can drop it as well as newsrequeue.

} expire can't support -d (specify new directory), -f (specify new
} history base name), -i (ignore old database) or -x (don't write); most
} of these (with the exception of -f ?) look like they are needed.

I think all of above except -d can be dropped.  Does anyone
use those?

} configurable), but should their be some way of defeating this for innd
} (and expire, grephistory etc.), should it be explicitly enabled instead?

I think this can be controlled by flag at HISopen().

} How was `threshold' to HISexpire expected to work - I'm assuming upper
} bound on the arrival time for articles passed to the callback; if you
} tell expire to do decisions based on posting time you need to pass in
} "infinite" (which I guess probably means 0 as a special case).

Looks good.

} Need to think of a design for replacing initial database creation (or
} should it just do like ovdb & create the files it needs, sizing a
} problem then though I guess).

How about auto creation when HISopen() is called and
no database exists yet.
--
Katsuhiro Kondou