INN not keeping up with incoming news

Jaye Mathisen mrcpu at internetcds.com
Tue Jan 30 18:21:34 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 11:33:35PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> As much as I like INN, I'm about to stop fighting and go to something
> else. I am tired of trying to get 200-250GB/day into a machine using INN
> when Diablo or Cyclone will do it easily on the same hardware.
>
> For political reasons I'm using Linux, and I have doubled the CPU speed,
> increased the disk speed, upped the memory to 2GB, tuned hell out of the
> tcp stack, and I still get a flow of error messages indicating that INN
> isn;t reading the data as fast as it comes in.

I am seeing the same thing, and the same problem.  most of my news comes
in via Cidera, and I can keep up for a little while, then once I fall
behind, I never catch back up.  This causes more of my incoming feed
to come from terrestrial sources, once the cidera feed gets
completely backed up, and defeats the purpose of having the
satellite feed.

It's good to see people working on updates, but I'm thinking I'm going
to have to switch to something else at least for the transit server portion,
and that's not my first choice.

I am happy to test patches, and i keep fairly current.

My systat -netstat output always shows data pending in the queue waiting for
innd to read it.  I've tried tweaking buffer sizes , I've had feeds
split up, but it just ain't cutting it...