Audit of INN against draft-ietf-nntpext-base-13.txt complete

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 9 08:26:23 UTC 2001

Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

> "nnrpd responds to all IHAVE commands with a 480 response (saying that
> authentication is needed).  This is nonsensical; nnrpd will never accept
> an IHAVE command no matter how the user authenticates."

> This is an interesting one... I actually need nnrpd to accept IHAVE (an
> historical artifact from way back when, when Demon customers really did
> peer with the news server)

Heh!  I didn't think anyone would need that.  Well, we can certainly add
it if someone wants it (probably another letter in an access string for
now until we find a better way to express that).  Are they actually mixing
ARTICLE commands with IHAVE commands or something?

> I haven't got around to implementing it yet, but it sounds like it might
> be more controversial than I'd expected!

Nah, it's not really a violation of nnrpd's mission, or at least enough of
one that I'll object if someone wants it.  I just didn't expect anyone to
want that.