Audit of INN against draft-ietf-nntpext-base-13.txt complete

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Mon Jul 9 10:07:59 UTC 2001

> Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net> writes:
>
> > Mostly its people emulating a site, so they'll pull a feed using
> > something like slurp, then batch back posts to us. I'd guess a fair
> > number are running INN locally.
>
> > In our current server IHAVE and POST are more or less the same command
> > (modulo the arguments), just with different return codes. I doubt that
> > what we have today deals with the wrinkles highlighted in ietf-nntp
> > recently for this scenario though.
>
> Hm.  By "more or less the same command," do you mean that your IHAVE
> implementation is willing to do things like add Date headers, assign
> message IDs, add injection headers, and so forth?

I suspect so (not least the function is called CMDihavepost()).

>  That I might object to,
> since that's really not what IHAVE is supposed to do; IHAVE says that the
> article has already been injected and it's being relayed to another site,
> which means that the much stricter requirements for a relayer come into
> play (and really the only headers that the server should be modifying are
> Path and Xref).

That was my plan, more or less; if we break people because they were
relying on things which were unsupportable, thats their problem, but
if we can avoid gratuitously breaking them I'd like to.

Is there a list somewhere of the headers a relaying agent should
require?