I hate makedbz.

Ron Jarrell jarrell at solaris.cc.vt.edu
Fri Jul 27 02:59:00 UTC 2001

Ok, so this is the first time I've had to regenerate a history file since 2.2.
What is *with* makedbz?  I've got an 853 meg history file after makehistory
ran.  The old file had a bit over 16m entries in it, so a did a makedbz -s 20000000 -f
history.n (leaving room for the fact that the server's been down now since early wed.
morning, so I'm going to have to deal with a huge surge of backlog).

Doing the makehistory, re-reading the entire spool, and building the ovdb files
took 6 hours.  In 20 more minutes the makedbz, which just has to build the offset
index into the history.n file, is going to hit 24 hours, and still going strong.  The io
rates are very reasonable, there's about 3.5 gig of memory free on the system,
and the other two processors are twiddling their thumbs.

By now I could have built another news system, fed the entire spool over there,
reinitialized this one, and fed it all *back*...