makedbz -i still running at 125+ hours

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Mon Jun 11 08:59:13 UTC 2001

Joe St Sauver <JOE at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU> writes:

> Recall my makedbz -i on a history file with 44,759,312
> entries... it is still running at 125+ CPU hours on a
> PIII 1GHz system, with history.n.hash 224,976,390 octets
> in size, and history.n.index 299,968,520 octets in size.

The fact that they're non zero lengths is a clue... if makedbz is
running as it expects to, they should be zero right up until makedbz
finishes & they get dumped to disk.

If makedbz does spill out of the allocated size you get a whole pile
of small unbuffered (application side) pread/pwrite for the overflow;
at that point you're at the mercy of your OS.