Testing Help

Ryan MacDonald ryan.macdonald at clarent.com
Mon Jun 18 19:51:11 UTC 2001

Hey Everyone,

Well I managed after completely reworking my inn.conf to get articles to
start appearing.  The system still produces a core file in the articles
directory (still don't know why), however everything appears to be
working correctly.  Being a total newbie however, I am really not sure
how I can test this.  On the client end I am able to subscribe to groups
and view the messages inside.  However I am not sure how I should go
about testing outgoing news.  I subscribed as a test to
"comp.sys.sun.hardware", after going through a few messages I found a
couple I could answer.  I went ahead a replied to them and it appeared
to work correctly.  I get this in my "news" log:

[root@<systemname> news]# tail -f news |grep news-in
Jun 18 13:41:33.447 + not-for-mail <3B2E58C8.5030408 at peakss.com> 884
news-in.dvmco.ip.att.net
Jun 18 13:42:15.486 + not-for-mail <3B2E58F2.8010207 at peakss.com> 12466
news-in.dvmco.ip.att.net

Now, if I "cd" into /var/spool/news/articles/comp/sys/sun/hardware I am
able to see my message that I replied to.  However my newreader
(Netscape in this case) does not recognize that there is a new message.
How long should this take?  Or is there a place on the web that I can
look to see if my message has been propegated?  Does this take a long
time to occur?

Thanks again,
Ryan

--