Expiring Messages

Ryan MacDonald ryan.macdonald at clarent.com
Thu Jun 21 17:22:37 UTC 2001

Hey everyone,

Here is a pretty basic question for you.  I am running 2.3.1 on Red Hat
Linux.

Where can I look to see how long messages are kept for?  Is there a
default retention period (like 2 weeks) or something like that?  I
looked at the cron jobs that came by default and they seem to be working
fine, including expires, however I don't know how long the messages are
kept.

This is my /etc/cron.daily for inn:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/chkconfig innd && su - news -c "/usr/bin/news.daily delayrm"

Is there a parameter that I can tag on the end thats sets the length of
time it will keep them?  Something like:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/chkconfig innd && su - news -c "/usr/bin/news.daily delayrm 30d"

Is this what my /etc/news/expire.ctl file is for?  It shows this entry:

##  Keep for 1-10 days, allow Expires headers to work.  This entry uses
##  the syntax appropriate when groupbaseexpiry is true in inn.conf.
*:A:1:10:never

Is this saying that messages could be kept for a possible 1 day at
times??  I would prefer to keep at least a 30 day window of messages.

Thanks,
Ryan

--

Ryan MacDonald