Expiring Messages

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Jun 21 21:39:22 UTC 2001

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Ryan MacDonald wrote:

> ##  Keep for 1-10 days, allow Expires headers to work.  This entry uses
> ##  the syntax appropriate when groupbaseexpiry is true in inn.conf.
> *:A:1:10:never
>
> Is this saying that messages could be kept for a possible 1 day at
> times??  I would prefer to keep at least a 30 day window of messages.

Have you read the manpage for expire.ctl?  The middle number is the one
that will almost always be used.  The first and third numbers are the
range within which an explicit Expires: header will be honored (that is,
if the user posting the articles asks for it to be expired at a particular
time -- such as for news bulletins that will be outdated) -- no matter how
soon the Expires: header requests, the article will be kept for some
minimum time, and no matter how long it requests it won't be kept after a
certain length (unless you use 'never').  But Expires: is pretty uncommon.

You can set all three to the same number if you wish.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org