newbie problems with initial setup of INN

Kelly F. Hickel kfh at mqsoftware.com
Fri Jun 22 18:03:43 UTC 2001

Hi,
	We've just switched to a new ISP, and they don't do client access to
news, so we've decided to start running INN.  No one here has ever set up a
news feed before.  The machine we're running it on is running RedHat 6.1.

The ISP has an info page at
http://infopage.cary.cw.net/Other_Services/News/ihave.html that has info on
setting up INN, I followed their instructions, along with going through the
INSTALL file that comes with INN.  Everything seems to be set up, inncheck
doesn't show any problems, and innd is running, but no news is arriving (I
did several ctlinnd newgroup commands after everything was running).
Examining the firewall log shows that the ISPs news server has made a few
connections, and I don't see any errors in the syslog files.

I'm not sure where to look to find out what's happening.

My newsfeeds file (stripped of comments):
ME:!*/!local,!collabra-internal::
controlchan!\
        :!*,control,control.*,!control.cancel\
        :Tc,Wnsm:/usr/local/news/bin/controlchan
newsfeed.cwix.com/news.cwix.com:*:Tf,Wnm:

nntpsend.ctl stripped of comments:
newsfeed.cwix.com:newsfeed.cwix.com::

my crontab:
0 3 * * * /usr/local/news/bin/news.daily expireover lowmark
0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * /usr/local/news/bin/nntpsend

Thanks for any help/pointers you can give,
	Kelly Hickel