Anyone know what this is all about?

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Jun 22 18:10:06 UTC 2001

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Ryan MacDonald wrote:

> Since I started my feed yesterday I have been getting these emails?  Is
> this a problem on my end, or just some random thing sent out by some
> admin somewhere?

That's a checkgroups message, a type of control message that gives a list
of groups in a hierarchy so you can tell if you are missing any or have
any that don't belong.

Control messages can be handled in several ways (based on type --
newgroup/rmgroup/checkgroups, sender, hierarchy) including 'drop'
(silently ignore), 'doit' (process the message), and 'mail' (forward to
the news admin).

So that control message was mailed to you.  This is specified in the
control.ctl file.  If you don't like behavior, that's where you change it.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org