Release status and plans

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Mar 3 21:18:50 UTC 2001

Marco d'Itri <md at Linux.IT> writes:
> On Mar 03, Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

>> I'm going to work on getting those two things into STABLE and then
>> anything else people think should be in 2.3.2 should go in ASAP so that
>> we

> What about adding gpgverify? As long as it's not enabled/installed by
> default it will be harmless. I'm not sure if you have the latest
> version, I'll send you what I have here.

Hm.  Sure, I can look at dropping it in.

> The second version of controlchan I announced some days ago (did you
> look at it?) is nearly finished, I fixed a couple of buglets here and
> just have to do some final polishing.

Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but did see your message.

> Now I'm working integrating the IPv6 patch, I'm removing some
> compatiblity cruft for old/broken IPv6 implementations and reorganizing
> some other things. I think it should go in 2.4, even if it's broken it
> would be harmless when --enable-ipv6 is not used.

Yes, I forgot IPv6 in the last message; it's either 2.4 or 2.5 depending
on when we get it integrated, and I'd be delighted to have it in 2.4.  It
was just depending on time; the 2.4 schedule is a bit aggressive and I
don't want the release to slip too far.

> At which point of your release schedule is placed the perl module?

It's another either 2.4 or 2.5 thing; I think we may be able to sneak it
into 2.4, since I think I know how to go about doing it, but it may not
quite make it.

> Many things in config.h could *very* easily become inn.conf variables.

A whole bunch of them should probably actually become command-line flags,
particularly all the ones that affect rnews.  Since running rnews is under
the control of the news admin, they can easily add new flags to their
invocation command line, and that means we don't have to clutter up the
configuration files with rnews-specific options.

> What about removing compatibility hacks for platforms like NeXT? :-)

I might.  :)  That's mostly there because Perl had it and that's where I
got the basic idea from.