unified conf syntax proposal..

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Mar 11 18:38:42 UTC 2001

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Fabien Tassin wrote:

> well well well... now that the code is written, what should we do ?

Ugh.  Hard question.

> We are only two with opposed visions. What do others think about all
> of this ? It is still time to change things if I'm alone to think that my
> proposal is good.

I haven't thought about the pros and cons very closely, but I just went
and stared at the examples being presented and I have to admit I find
Russ' more intuitive.  I just don't like things like "129kb orgreater" and
"then send using inpaths", etc.  I would definitely be interested in
seeing further justification, though; I'm not entirely convinced.

Hmm.  Not that I really know anything about parsing, but what happens with
Fabien's way with a syntax error (spelling error, missing punctuation)?
I'm concerned that it might end up something like the SML/NJ syntax --
just dandy when everything is right, but one little error and there's not
enough redundancy in the syntax for the parser to be able to give
meaninful errors.

(We have a PH database here, and I find "ph vinocur return all" generally
yucky, for the same reasons.)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org