forcing newgroup creation?

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Mar 30 00:01:18 UTC 2001

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Bill Kearney wrote:

> I'm new to this list.  My apologies if this is not the right place to ask
> these questions.

This is a fine place.  The newsgroup news.software.nntp might be better, I
suppose, because more people tend to respond.

> That said, is there a way to force INN to create a newgroup when submitting a
> control message?  The documentation in 2.3.1 is less than clear.  I know
> ctlinnd will do it instantly.  But messages posted are at the mercy of
> nntpsend's cron interval.

If you are going to have only a single server for your local groups (which
it sounds like you are) you don't need to use nntpsend (or innfeed) at
all --- those programs are for sending articles to peers.  You only need
to put the appropriate entries in control.ctl to set the control message
handling (for whatever you're calling your local hierarchy) as you wish.

I believe that you're not going to be able to restrict control message
handling based on radius/ldap authentication information, however.  In
general, restrictions on control messages are either by From: header
(easily forged) or PGP signature.

However, looking at the source, it appears that processing is based on
Sender: header rather than From: header, if Sender: exists.  And if all
messages will be posted through the local machine (which is true for you),
you can use the nnrpdauthsender flag in inn.conf to make sure Sender: is
based on trustworthy (from your radius or whatever authentication)
information.

Except that there is, in 2.3.1, an oddity where Sender: can be forged even
with nnrpdauthsender on.  However, I can send you the patch that fixes
this if you like :-)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org