forcing newgroup creation?

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 29 22:41:05 UTC 2001

Hi all,

I'm new to this list.  My apologies if this is not the right place to ask
these questions.
(Point me to the right place otherwise)

That said, is there a way to force INN to create a newgroup when submitting a
control message?  The documentation in 2.3.1 is less than clear.  I know
ctlinnd will do it instantly.  But messages posted are at the mercy of
nntpsend's cron interval.

The scenario is we're NOT going to use this NNTP server as a feed for usenet
news.  Instead we're going to use it for personal/departmental discussion
groups.  Purely local.  So my thought is to have the client software be able
to send in a newgroup command as needs develop.  But if they're going to sit
in queue it might not be workable (impatient lot, these users).

This also applies to rmgroup.  However, I can live with rmgroup being queued.
It might be fair to say that waiting on rmgroup is a good failsafe against
said impatient users...

All access is authenticated via RADIUS.  I suppose we're going to need to look
into LDAP next, as we need group ACLs too.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill Kearney